Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

14 months

Today, Tommy is 14 months going on 15 years old. Oh my. My cute little blessing sure is a bad boy sometimes :)

Tommy, at 14 months, you are:

*about 26 lbs--hasn't changed too much since you were about 10 months old :) You're in the 75% tile for weight.

*30 inches--the growing is slowing down quite a bit. You're only in the 25% tile in height! I think you just have really long legs. Your torso is kinda short but your legs....they're outgrowing your pants :)

*in size 12 month clothes for the most part. You can do some 18 month stuff but I just bought you a pair of 18 month jean shorts that slide right off your hiney. So we'll be doing a lot of trying on before we buy stuff.

*wearing size 5 diapers. They're pretty big on you but the fours were getting too short to fasten without cutting across your legs.

*on your 3rd haircut!! Your hair grows insanely fast. And when it's too long, it gets all curly and you look like a homeless child who's seen better days :) Don't get me wrong, you're still insanely adorable with long hair, but I can't stand when it curls over your collar or your ears.

Before the haircut.......
This picture doesn't quite capture the essence of your hairdo
During the haircut
You were startled the whole time :) You did NOT like Daddy cutting your hair.
And after the haircut:

Like a whole new kid!! I want it a little longer on top next time, but this time was our first to do it ourselves, so we experimented a little. You're welcome :) And get used to it as the firstborn.
*seeming to get a HUGE attitude lately. You were sick for awhile, so we thought it was related to that but you're feeling better and the fit throwing has not stopped. Is it possible for the terrible twos to hit 10 months early?!? You're 90% sweet Tommy and 10% "make mommy hide her eyes because she's afraid a demon is making an appearance" Tommy. You go from super happy to throwing a fit over the smallest things. Oh man. I'm praying for patience during those episodes.

*refusing to eat meat. You spit it out all the time. Sometimes we can trick you into eating it if it's mixed in REALLY well with other stuff, but if we try to give you a bit of hamburger or chicken, it goes right back out onto the floor.

*finally getting over your illness (as mentioned above). About a week and a hal ago, we had a REALLY bad night. On a Wednesday night, you woke up from a nap and refused to stand. You wouldn't bear any weight on your legs. You cried whenever I touched your feet. You just sat in my lap all night and wouldn't let me touch your legs at all. It freaked me out because I thought something was wrong with your muscles. Then you started running a fever around 101. I gave you ibuprofen and we went to bed but you woke up every hour crying and whining. Which means we got about an hour of sleep total the whole night. I stayed home from work the next day and you kept running your fever and acted like a zombie. Totally sad. Dad took you to the doctor on Friday because you had started coughing and you had a lot of congestion. They diagnosed you with a sinus infection and started you on amoxicillin. It seems to have helped for the most part. You still have a very wet cough, but are otherwise doing well.

 *LOVING being able to play outside! You cry and scream when it's time to go inside. You would follow dad around and talk to the doggy all day if you could. We've gone down to the pond a few times and you have so much fun!





*so smart. You're not really talking yet, but you understand 95% of what we say to you. You also know what to do with most things. For example, you saw my straightener out the other day and started using it on your hair (dad wasn't too happy about that but I thought it was smart!). You love "helping" mommy. If I give you wet clothes from the washer you know to put them in the dryer. You always try to "help" when I'm loading the dishwasher. You throw things away, pick up your toys, brush your own teeth (after mommy does it good, of course), "kiss the baby" (mommy's tummy) and so many other things.

*still only saying about 4 words and that's only when you want to. Mama, Dada, nana and dog. But I SWEAR that yesterday you said, "Yub oo (love you)." It was awesome.You said it 3 or 4 times but I didn't believe you were really saying it until the last time when you gave me a BIG ole kiss and I said, "Love you, bubba!" And you looked right at me and said, "Yub oo." Wishful thinking? Maybe. But I'm pretty sure you said it.

*so funny and sweet :) You used to be really stingy with your kisses, but now you're giving them out like crazy. When I tell you I love you, you run over and give me a kiss. You've just been really snuggly and sweet (when you're not throwing a fit :) and I love it!! This is your kissy face:
You go full on, mouth open for kisses :)

*doing pretty good at learning body parts. You know your nose, ears, belly and tongue. Your tongue is the funniest because you stick it out and smile and laugh like you're the funniest person in the world. And you are :) Also, when we say, "Tommy, how big are you?" you throw your hands up in the air to show us and then you start clapping. It's the cutest  (to me, of course)!

Overall, you are one awesome little boy to be around. I'm learning a lot about parenting and trying to be patient right now with your fits and tantrums. You stretch me in ways I didn't know were possible and teach me how to love more than I ever thought I could. I get so excited to come home and see you every day. I love cuddling you until you fall asleep (although we might have to find something new when Tessa comes--maybe we can all cuddle to sleep!). I love waking up and seeing your little face, even when it's a grumpy face. We pray a lot together--for daddy, for safety, for our familes and for our attitudes. We have a lot of come-to-Jesus meetings when we're BOTH having a bad day. I love you so much, buddy. I can't imagine life without your little kisses and hugs and squeals and giggles.

No comments: