Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Fear not

There is nothing in the world that will sober your mind quicker than the loss of life. I want to say I have no words for what has happened in Connecticut today, but I have so many words (many of which are not nice) that are rushing through my mind. I'm trying not to let satan drag me down with the guilt and shame at how I interacted with my child this morning.  Knowing that I took his presence for granted makes me sick to my stomach. So many parents are left grieving and wishing their children were waking them up tomorrow morning at 5am, demanding juice and crackers. I know that's satan's intent in all of this----to make as many people as possible feel as badly as possible.

My heart is broken for those families and parents and children. I am scared for my children. I am sick at the world we live in. I am ready for REAL life in Heaven to begin. I want nothing more than to run home to my babies.

But at the same time, I don't want to live in fear. My God is a God who says fear is not of Him. I'm devastated for these parents and children who may never step out of the fear that will now surround them. I haven't been reading my Bible as much as I should, but there is one chapter that I consistantly go back to in times of adversity. It is such a strong, promise-filled chapter that makes my heart beat in anticipation of my Saviour.

Psalm 91

1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

3 Surely he will save you
from the fowler’s snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
and you make the Most High your dwelling,

10 no harm will overtake you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”

Although I should be, I am not to the point where I can be anything but glad that the shooter is probably in hell where I feel he deserves to be.....but for the grace of God, we all should. I can't imagine, and can only hope and pray that I never have to, what those who are involved are feeling right now. I DO have a heart for the shooter's family. To know your child had chosen a path such as that would be a heart-sickening, devastating, gut-wrenching reality.

Dear God, I pray in Your name that you heal and protect those whose lives have been shattered. Please give them the peace and comfort that only You can provide. In YOUR name, I demand Satan to get back in the hell he deserves to live in. I ask that you send your angels to surround this community, to rid them of the fear that fills their hearts. Jesus, You have promised that if we turn to You, we will not fear, we will not stumble and we will not be overcome with the ways of the world. Thank You, Lord, for your protection on our lives. Heal these people, God.

Amen.

No comments: