Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thomas James

I'm not a mushy type (ok, yes I am). But in the last few months, I have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with  my son. I know what you're thinking---what about the other 24 months he's been alive? Didn't you love him then? Of course! I've loved him since the moment I knew he was growing in my belly.

But lately, it's been different. I don't even know how to explain it. But seeing the little person he's becoming.....watching him grow up and change before my eyes....knowing we already have a lifetime of memories and a million more in our future......it just moves me in a way I didn't know was possible. These babies come out so dependent and needing you the second they start breathing. And while you love them and feel like you already know them at birth.....there's so much more to love and know! I feel like every moment, every second that he's alive, he's changing me and bettering me and challenging me and growing me and teaching me.

Nick and I joke that he's my personality twin. Truly, this kid is a mini-momma. He feels with every ounce of his being. And whatever he's feeling, he's VERY passionate about it. When he's mad, he is SO mad. When he's happy, he's the sweetest little fellow to be found. When he's upset, it's all tears and red cheeks and runny nose and drama. When he's sorry, he says it one hundred times and hugs you until you're laughing again. When he's hurt, it's the worst case scenario (he's recently told me his hand was "dokden" due to a tiny scratch he had on it). He can't stand sitting in the house too long. He always says, "Ne go to da store!!" That's my boy!

He's so funny. He's already playing "jokes" on us. He tries to trick us when we are making him eat something by putting it up to his mouth and making a chewing motion but not actually taking a bite. He calls us "mac-n-cheese heads" and thinks it's the funniest thing ever. He says silly things and then says, "Ne deasdin, mom!" (me teasing mom!).

He's so sweet. He tells me that he loves me "Up a heaben, up a earfff." (Up to heaven, up to earth). He is constantly telling us he loves us and hugging our legs. He throws himself at us and wraps his skinny little arms around our necks. He's started puckering up and giving us big, juicky kisses.

He's so curious. His favorite question is, "Dut doin, mom?" (Whatcha doin mom?). He says it a million times a day. He has to know where everyone is and what they're doing. He hasn't started with the, "Why?" question yet but he pays close attention to everything that's happening so he doesn't miss any of it.

He's smart. SO smart. I might be biased, but he catches on to things so quickly. He knows all his shapes and colors (and has for about 3 months now). He says his name--Nomny Names (Tommy James) and knows my name (Dady Nynne) and dad's name (Dickodas Names) and Tessa's name (Sister Grace). He recognizes peoples cars and knows as soon as we turn on our road that we're going home (or as he calls it, "Nomny's house!"). He just amazes us every day with the things he's got figured out.

In case you can't tell, I'm enamored with this child. There's never a dull moment with him and even when I'm frustrated to no end because of the things he does, I have to laugh at the things he does and says. I can't get enough. I have actually started getting kind of sad when he goes to bed because I can't hang out with him anymore. I saw a mother and her teenage son at work the other day and they seemed to still be really close and get along well. As I watched them interacting, I wanted so badly for me and Tommy to be that way in the years to come. So many teens come in with snotty words and hateful looks towards their parents and I pray SO hard that doesn't happen to me and my kids. I will fight tooth and nail for good relationships with them.

So Thomas James, I love you more than words can say. You have forever changed me and I am a better person because of you. I couldn't be more proud to call you my son.

No comments: