Pages

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Nassau, Bahamas: Day 1 and 2

Our trip to Nassau has been amazing! Long story short, we'd been planning on taking a 10 year anniversary trip in September 2018. However, Nick's company scheduled a conference for him in Nassau, Bahamas in February, so we decided that I would tag along to that and we would let them pay for half of our vacation! It worked out perfectly.


We left early on Friday morning (2/16/18). SUPER early. Nick had to book his flight on his company's website and I had to book mine separately. So we weren't sure if we'd be able to sit together. On the first flight, I ended up being in first class. I wasn't expecting much--the first class seats on the planes we flew in to New York looked just look the economy class. BUT....it ended up being SUPER nice. I was the first seat in the plane and had TONS of leg room...

 Luckily, we got to sit together for the rest of our flights. We had a connecting flight in DFW and then again in Miami. I was still feeling a little unwell and to make our connecting flight in Miami, I swear we had to walk 900 miles. Maybe it was just one mile, but my body felt so weak and I honestly think I was still fighting a bit of a fever. I literally felt like I was going to pass out. But we kept on trucking and FINALLY made it to our gate. Our flight from Miami to Nassau was super short and BEAUTIFUL. We landed and made our way to our resort. They greeted us with Bahama Mamas! Best greeting ever!
 Our room and our view was beautiful! We had a wonderful view of the pools and the ocean!
 We took a nap for awhile and then headed outside and spent some time at the beach......


 We ate dinner at Estavida (a tapas bar). It was pretty good! We had hamburgers and fries and met a nice couple
 After dinner, we went out to Bahamian night on the patio. They had some vendors selling "Bahamian" merchandise and they were playing a lot of island music. It was a lot of fun to relax and listen!
 Then we ordered some room service (just because we could!). I got cheesecake and Nick got chicken wings. We both fell asleep happy!

The next day, we ate breakfast at the market place (a buffet they set up every morning). Then we spent most of the morning on the beach.
 
We ate lunch at O'Grille and this was our view.....yes, please!

After we ate lunch, we decided to take the Jitney #10 to downtown Nassau. The Jitney was a fun experience! It's a bus that goes from one part of the island to another and it only costs $1.25 per person. Just when you think it's full and you can't possibly fit another human on it, they pick up another person and fold down a seat that was hidden somewhere!


We went to the straw market downtown. I was really excited.....until we got there. It was just TOO MUCH. Women were following me asking to braid my hair. I couldn't shop for anything without two or three people surrounding us and trying to force things on us. I'm sure some people love that environment, but I was over it as soon as we started. I bought a few things I needed for souvenirs and then we were out of there! We found a little bench to sit on and people watch for a bit.

Nick made a new friend...

It was definitely an interesting environment. We got offered marijuana, Cuban cigars, purses, perfume....all kinds of stuff. We said no to all of it, just to clarify--ha! I did end up buying a bottle of Clinique perfume from a legitimate Clinique store because I had forgotten to bring perfume with me. I also thought it would be fun to buy a new scent and that way, whenever I wear it, I'll think of our trip!

After a few hours in downtown Nassau, we headed back to our resort: Melia. It's such a beautiful place!

We grabbed a snack (mango cheesecake) and then spent some more time on the beach...



We ate dinner at the market place. Nick bought this shirt while we were downtown. I was so proud of him! It's completely outside his comfort zone, but he looks SO handsome! How lucky am I?!

We were totally lame and fell asleep around 8:30pm. It was wonderful!

No comments: