Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

That one time my daughter potty-trained herself....

I hate potty training. I hated before I ever even potty-trained anybody! Of course I wanted my kids to be potty trained and out of diapers, but I was SOOOOO not excited about the process. I put it off with Tommy until he was 2 1/2 years old. He had shown a few signs of being ready, but we tried once around age 2 and all it did was frustrate us AND him. We went back to diapers for a few months and then followed a 3 day potty training method that one of my friends told me about.

Worked like a charm and he did SO good for the first 3 days. After that, he would pee like a champ in the toilet........BUT.....he would NOT go number 2 in the toilet. It was so frustrating because we knew that he knew he was getting it wrong and pooping in your pants was not okay, but he would NOT do it. Long story short, we cleaned up a lot of poopy undies for a few weeks until he got over his whatever was making him not want to sit on the toilet for that!

So when it came time to potty train Tessa..........I was hesitant. She started wanting to go potty on the big girl potty when she was a few months shy of two years old. We would put her up there when she asked, but she wasn't consistent and wasn't SUPER interested. So I waited......and waited....and waited. About a month after she turned two, Nick and I decided to suck it up and do the 3 day potty training method again. We picked a weekend to get started and that was it. All the diapers disappeared, the big girl panties filled her drawer and the process had begun.

And that's literally all there was to it. She had ONE accident the whole time. She would tell us she had to use the bathroom and then she walked in there and went. There was no pee on the couch or poop in the underwear. We didn't have to stay home for a week because we were afraid she'd have an accident at the store.

We took her diaper off, put underwear on and she was potty trained. She LITERALLY potty trained herself.

Thank you, Jesus.

It was amazing!! I'm sure there are a few factors that made it different--I've heard from several people that girls are much easier to potty train than boys (and Tommy wasn't that hard!). I think also having an older sibling (and an older cousin going through potty training) set an example for her and made her want to be a big girl. And, it was purely an answer to prayer! I prayed so hard she would catch on quick and did she ever!!

So our family is now diaper free and has been for several months! I LOVE IT!!!!

No comments: