Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

To my boy, on your 4th birthday

Thomas James--

Today you turn four. To say those words to myself is unbelievable. FOUR. Where has the time gone? I swear it was just yesterday that I was trying to memorize the way you felt in my tummy because I knew you were making your appearance soon. I tried to burn in my mind the way you kicked, how you always sat so low in my belly, that you were ALWAYS awake when I was trying to sleep, the way you danced when I ate spicy food and wriggled when I turned music on. 

And now......we've had four years on this earth together. It seems like it's flown, but also like I've never known life any other way. You are growing into such a funny, sweet, weird, HILARIOUS little boy!

Tommy, at 4 years old, you are:

*around 30 pounds

*getting tall! I don't know exactly how tall, but you come up past my hips. And that feels SO tall

*starting to eat better. Like all toddlers, you went through a stage of wanting nothing but junk. Now, you're eating a lot more meat and fruit......and we're working on the veggies. 

*SO smart! You can write your name and you can spell your name, Tessa's name, mom and dad. You can count to twenty. 

*very good with directions and knowing/recognizing where you are. You can tell us which way to turn to get places. If we drive past places you're EVER been (like my work, where you've been maybe two or three times), you immediately recognize it and point it out. 

*losing a little bit of your temper. It's been a loooooong road, but we're FINALLY getting to the point of much fewer tantrums and outbursts. They still happen, but aren't near as frequent as they used to be.

*doing great at school! I wouldn't say you love it, but your teachers always say you're doing a good job and that you listen well.

*best friends with Katie, Weston and Trey. I have no idea if he actually talks to these kiddos in his preschool because when I ask about his friends, he says, "We can talk about that later." But he always says they're his best friends, so hopefully he's interacting with them!

*SO shy. Like, painfully shy. It makes me sad simply because I hope you're not holding back on doing things you think are fun just because you're too nervous or shy. I used to be that way and missed out on so many experiences and friendships because I was too shy. 

*obsessed with Paw Patrol and Blaze and the Monster Machines. If we let you, you would watch them all day every day.

*in a size 4T jeans and shirt. You wear a size 10 1/2 shoe. Bigfoot!!

*SO funny. Seriously. You say things that make me and your daddy almost cry with laughter. 

*starting to appreciate your sister more. I think you were pretty jealous for awhile, but lately have started declaring her your best friend and wanting her to play with you all the time. I LOVE seeing that relationship grow and watching you guys play!

*insistent on sleeping with at least two cars or trucks, one or two stuffed animals, a few books and a ball. Every night.

Tommy, raising you has been the biggest challenge and the biggest blessing of my life. You are everything I could have asked for in a son and more. You keep me on my toes and make me laugh every day. I love you so much and am so grateful I get to be your mommy!

Happy 4th birthday, buddy!

No comments: