Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2019

To Tommy on your 8th birthday

Tommy-

You are EIGHT this year. All of your birthdays have hit me hard, but eight just seems so.....grown up. Like, I'm truly questioning how it's possible that it's been eight years since you were born.

I know if I was saying that to you out loud, you would sigh and say something sarcastic to me. You would reassure me that no matter how old you are, you'll still hug me and sit in my lap and let me call you my baby (even though you're already doing that less and less).

At eight years old, you are around 49 inches and 62 pounds. You're tall and skinny! I love your gangly knees and arms. You've got killer abs and dad always says how jealous he is.

Your bright blond hair has gotten so much darker. It actually makes me really sad. I LOVE your blond hair and I'm hoping when it's summer again and you're outside all the time that it'll lighten up.

You are the klutziest child I've ever known. Ever. You trip over things that aren't there and you are constantly stubbing toes, falling down, running into walls....I would almost call it a talent--ha!

You speak fluent sarcasm. Sometimes your jokes are legitimately funnier than mine and dad's! We have to catch ourselves sometimes because even though what you're saying might be really hilarious, it doesn't always sound appropriate coming from an eight year old. You tend to be a little on the mouthy side and we've had several stand offs over your mouth.

But that being said, you can also be the SWEETEST boy. When you do hug me, they're great big bear hugs. I can rest my chin on your head now when we hug, which is totally weird because in my mind, you're still a tiny toddler that can barely reach my knees. You heat up my corn bag for me almost every night. You write me sweet notes that I randomly find on my pillow or in my purse. And every now and then (not often), you do something sweet for your sister.

You have officially "come out of your shell." We worried when you first started school that you wouldn't make any friends because you were PAINFULLY shy. You wouldn't know it now. You like making people laugh and you have so many friends that we love having around! You're growing up with a great group of kids and we are so grateful for the fact that you enjoy being around other kids so much now.

You do really well in school and seem to enjoy math. You're constantly turning situations around us into math problems and letting me know what the answer is. You like to read a lot, but only if it's your idea and I'm not making you do it. When I try to make you read, then you have no interest (of course).

But your favorite subject at school is lunch.

You LIVE to eat. We can eat a hearty fulfilling meal and no more than 30 minutes later, you let me know you're starving and want to know what kind of snack you can have. It drove me crazy for so long but now I've come to expect it and try to have your favorite snacks on hand at all times so you don't die (your words, not mine).

You have REALLY gotten into sports this year! We've had so much fun watching you play football and basketball. You really want to start soccer in the spring, so that's the plan and I have a feeling that's going to be your favorite. You just enjoy them so much more than you used to so it's fun for us to watch when you're having a good time.

Tommy, the past eight years with you have truly been a joy. We argue sometimes (mostly because we're personality twins), but I'm always so happy to see you after school and spend time with you in the evenings. I love watching your shows with you (except Star Wars because it bores me to tears) and I love when you show me new things you've learned. We have so much fun together and I can't wait to see what this year holds for us!

Happy eighth birthday, son!

No comments: