Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

That one time my kid yelled a naughty word in public....

So, I feel like I've done a pretty good job or watching my language in front of my kids. Not that I have a sailor's mouth or anything, but I've been known to let an occasional bad word slip every now and then. I'm terrible about saying things that aren't necessarily cuss words but aren't necessarily nice either while I'm driving (i.e. douche bag, jerk, mother-son-of-a-gun). Things that don't sounds TOO bad coming out of my mouth but sound HORRIBLE coming out of the mouths of babes.

But I can honestly say that this incident is 100% NOT from me.

We were at Gambino's the other night waiting on our pizza to be done. Now, let me preface this by saying that lately, I (and other people) have been teasing Tessa a lot. It's been a fun game for her to do something crazy and an adult to say in our pretend stern voices, "Tessa Grace! You're in big trouble for that!" And then she runs around screaming and we try to catch her. And everyone has a grand time.

Until......back to Gambino's.

Like I said, we were waiting for our pizza and Tommy and Tessa were playing a rhyming game. Tommy would say a word and Tessa would say something that rhymes with it. It was entertaining them and I was having fun listening to them. And then Tommy randomly said the word "goochy." Tessa yelled at the top of her lungs, "COOCHY!!!"

Now.

Tessa has no idea what that means. And I NEVER say that word because....ew (in Jimmy Fallon's voice). I shushed her and said, "Tessa Grace, we do NOT say that word. It's not appropriate." Well, she apparently thought we were playing the game I described above where she gets in "pretend trouble" and then gets chased. Because she screamed it again. And again and again and again. And then started dancing around in our booth while she said it.

By that point, everyone in the restaurant was staring at us (it's a small restaurant, so there's not way they didn't hear us). And she was just laughing and giggling and dodging me. I was trying to scoop up all of our junk and get her and Tommy out the door because she would NOT stop saying it!!

Finally, my sister brought out our pizza and I freakin' high-tailed it out of there. I was walking so fast that my kids were running after me. I was SO embarrassed. Like.....beyond embarrassed. Tessa was still saying it as we were walking out the door, thinking the whole time that I was just kidding about her being in trouble.

I felt kind of bad because when we got in the car, I totally flipped out on Tessa and used my tone of voice to let her know that I indeed was NOT joking and to make sure that the next time I tell her to stop doing/saying something, she needs to STOP! She was looking at me like I was a crazy person and I totally understand why.

Lesson from all of this?.............Don't ever get onto your kids "for pretend" because they are far too young to understand when you're joking and when you're not. And don't let them play the rhyming game in public because only Heaven knows what they'll come up with!

I mean, can you imagine THIS sweet face screaming "coochy?!?!"

No comments: