Sunday, February 16, 2014

Love Day 2014

Our Valentine's Day this year was busy and had an early start. Tessa was supposed to get ear tubes put in on the 7th, but she was sick the few days before, so we rescheduled to the 14th. We had to be at the surgery center by 7:30am. Not horrible, but a little earlier than we're used to. Tommy stayed the night at my mom's the night before because I KNEW waking him up at 6:30am would be a disaster. Nick is on 3rd shift, so he was just going to meet us there. Since it was just us girls at home, we did our nails, ate some chocolate and I let her sleep in my bed the night before. She was out in no time!

I got myself and Tessa up and showered and dressed and out the door by 7:00am. I waited until as late as possible to wake her up since she couldn't eat or drink anything, hoping she wouldn't have time to realize she was hungry or thirsty. Tessa was soooo sleepy in the back seat. She kept cuddling her baby and giving me the death glare. I was confident we'd be on time since we were leaving right at 7:00am.

However. The Center for Same Day Surgery has the most annoying parking/entry way ever. They told me to park in the parking garage. So I did and it was a mess. You had to walk all the way around the parking garage to get to the surgery center. And then when you get to where you THINK the entrance is, it's not the entrance. It's the exit. So you walk alllllll they way around the building to get to the entrance which is facing a main road where nobody can park. Makes perfect sense. And makes you 5 minutes late.

But we eventually got checked in. Tessa alternated taking little naps on the floor (which totally grossed me out but she was so tired, I tried to ignore it) and playing with all the animals they had there (which also grossed me out, but whatta ya gonna do?).

We were told to check in at 7:30am and when we got there, they got all our paperwork done and got her all checked in. And then we waited. Until 9:15am. So irritating. Working for a doctor (especially one who runs late all the time), I understand that things happen and I never expect to get into ANY doctor on time. But almost two hours was totally pushing the limit. We were just praising God that it was Tessa getting this done and not Tommy. She's so much more relaxed than him. He would have been screaming for food and a drink by the time we left the house and the 2 hour wait would have done him in. But luckily, she was content to just play the whole time. They finally took her back (and although I'm 100% aware ear tubes are a totally common procedure, it was really sad to see them carrying her through the OR doors and seeing her little face just staring at us). The actual procedure only took about 15 minutes. The doctor came out and said everything went well. They did notice her left hear had some really thick "yucky" drainage (his words, not mine) that didn't look right, so they put her on some ear drops three times a day and we have to go back in 2 weeks to make sure the thick drainage isn't clogging her ear tubes.

Then he took us to our girl. She was NOT a happy camper. She cried and cried and cried. She was so out of it she just kept throwing her body around and wailing. Poor thing.

We got her to the car and went to get her something to eat. It calmed her down a little to have something in her tummy and she passed out in the middle of her meal.
 I took her to Brooke's and hung out there with her for the next few hours to make sure she was doing okay. And she was! She was back to her normal self in no time and running around like crazy. I dare to say I think she's happier AFTER the surgery than she was before. I think it's already making her ears feel better. Around 12:30pm, I went back to work since she was doing fine. I worked until 5:30pm and then headed home to spend time with all my loves. These were the beautiful flowers my hubs had waiting for me. And my sister got me the milk glass bowl (which I collect) filled with Candy Cane kisses (the BEST candy ever!).

We just hung out at home the rest of the evening and relaxed together. It was a perfect Valentine's Day! 

No comments: