Thursday, August 4, 2011

Banana puffs.....

....also known as the silent killer. That's right, I said banana puffs are a silent baby killer. Let me start with the beginning of the story so maybe by the end of it, you'll be on my side and ban the "melt-in-your-mouth" corn puffs that are so popular right now.

A girl that works with Brooke at Gambino's gave us a whole bunch of baby food, rice cereal and banana puffs because her daughter didn't eat them. This was a HUGE blessing because until about 2 weeks ago, we didn't have to buy Tommy any solids! It saved us a lot of money. But.......we started looking at the puffs a few nights ago and wondering if it was something Tommy could eat yet. We went through all the signs on the back that let you know when your baby is ready to eat the puffs. He met all the requirements, so we decided to give it a try.

Let me set the scene for you. Nick is sitting on the loveseat playing with Tommy while he was talking on the phone to a friend and I was lounging on the couch, watching my two boys with unadultured adoration. I'm telling you, it was a Norman Rockwell painting in the make. I had tried giving Tommy a few puffs ealier, but he hadn't really seemed interested. So Nick decided to try. And that's where it got ugly. I'll tell the rest of the story in pictures.


"Mom, what is Daddy trying to put in my mouth? I'm not sure I want it."

"Alright, alright, I'll try it.........but just a little bite. ONE little nibble."

"Okay, well it's a little more banana-y than I expected. I don't think I want this in my mouth anymore! Get it out!!"


"Well, the aftertaste wasn't TOO bad. Maybe I'll try just one more.....if I could just get them to stop sliding out of my mouth down this stream of slobber...."

Aaaaaaand, this is where he started choking.
What happened next, I will never forget. It was my child's first NEAR DEATH experience!! Dramatic?? Maybe. Scary?? ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!! He made a few little coughing noises, so we both started watching him. Then he started full on gagging and gasping for breath. Holy cow, talk about adrenaline. Nick threw his phone down (after explaining to Kevin to "hold on just a minute, I think the kid's choking") and I leaped over the coffee table. Nick was patting his back and when I figured out that wasn't working, I shoved my finger down his throat, TRYING to dig the puff out, but ultimately inducing vomit. That's the only time seeing someone puke hasn't made me puke myself. Glorious chunks of digested banana puffs and formula were all over my hand and Nick's leg and I couldn't have been happier. My baby's air passage was clear!! Thank you Jesus! Then I held him and cuddled him for a really long time. He, of course, had NO idea what was going on and was immediately reaching for the can of banana puffs again. I, on the other hand had visions of chucking the can across the room. Actually, I'm pretty sure I said a bad word in reference to the puffs. Let's just say it was a very scary moment that Tommy lived through and I'm sure there will be many more to follow, but it made me hold my boy close for a little while.......stupid banana puffs.

No comments: