Pages

Saturday, January 13, 2018

New York City 2018: Day 2

On Thursday, January 4th, we woke up to this....

Lots and lots of snow! We had seen on the weather station the previous day that it was supposed to be COLD and snowy and it was! However....that day was the day I realized just how dramatic the media makes EVERYTHING. They kept advertising this snow storm as a "bomb cyclone of snow." What does that even mean?? In Kansas, it would have just been called.....snow. So I'm not sure what about this being in New York made it be called a bomb cyclone, but it was honestly just windy and snowy! It was hard to walk in and made everything instantly wet, but it was SOOOO pretty. We haven't had snow yet in Kansas, so it was fun to get to be in it! We headed back to Ellen's Stardust Diner hoping that the line wouldn't be too long since it was so cold. And we were right! We only waited in line about 15 minutes (as opposed to the hour we would've waiting the day before). Everyone kept trying to cram into their little tiny lobby!
We got seated in their balcony, which was kind of a bummer because we couldn't see what was going on downstairs very well. But we could still hear it! It was so fun to listen to (and occasionally catch a glimpse of) the waiters and waitresses singing! I would definitely say that restaurant is more for entertainment than for the taste buds. I had a burger and fries and mom and Brooke had fish and fries. They loved their food and mine was good, but not FANTASTIC. But the atmosphere was so fun!



My mom was obsessed with the fact that the plates had her name on it. I asked our waitress if we could buy the plate. She said, "We don't sell the plates, but....I would never know if one was missing." So we took that as permission to take one and left her a big tip :) Mom was so happy!
We decided to go see The Greatest Showman after lunch. Best decision we've ever made.

We went to a theater with recliners and stadium seating. It was wonderful (and warm)!
We all three decided that was the best movie we'd ever seen. Brooke and I immediately got the soundtrack after we left the movie and I'm still listening to it 24/7 a week later. SO good. If you haven't seen it, GO NOW!! After the movie, we caught the subway to take us back to Central Park to take a carriage ride....
But there weren't any carriages there. We were so bummed! We'd envisioned a carriage ride in the snow....but they said it was too cold for the horses to be out. Sad day. So we walked around a bit just to see Central Park in the snow.

Then we went to Magnolia Bakery to get some cheesecake. So good.

After we had our cheesecake, we went back to Rockefeller Center to see it lit up at night. Brooke and mom had seen it the night before and knew I would love seeing it at night, so they took me back. And I'm so glad! It was beautiful and I got to face time the kids to show them.




We walked back to our hotel and stopped in Bryant Park (I think) on our way home to see this HUGE wreath.
I stopped at a Starbucks to get a iced chai tea latte. I'd never had one, but always wanted to try one. I'm just one of those people who'd rather get what they KNOW they like than waste $5 to figure out I don't like something. But I LOVED it! It tasted like pumpkin pie.
We went back to the hotel for awhile and Brooke and mom decided they wanted to go shopping some more. So they went out for awhile and I tried to get warm. They brought me back cheese fries from Shake Shack and a hot dog from Gray's Papaya. Both were so yummy!

We finally fell asleep around midnight and got a good night's rest before we headed out again the next day!

No comments: