Pages

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

I had the best day with you today....

Sometimes being a parent is so so so so so so hard. Okay, most of the time. But sometimes........we decide to just say yes to everything. And then being a parent is so so so so SO FUN!

We've had a tough time with Tommy lately. He was having to do albuterol treatments 3 times a day for about 2 weeks because of an asthma/upper respiratory flare up. And albuterol does terrible things to our son. It makes him mean and grumpy and hyper and cuh-razy. He finally got better and we stopped giving it about one week ago. It seems like the side effects are FINALLY starting to wear off (thank you, Lord!) and he's been a little calmer. However.....Sunday night and Monday morning were a little rough on mommy's nerves. I was starting to feel like all I was doing was disciplining him every second that we were together. And while I know he needs it, it's not fun. And it makes me sad.

So Monday night rolled around and I picked them up from Brooke's. We stopped and got Gambino's for dinner (because, why not?). Then we headed home to wait for dad to get home from work. After he was home and we all ate dinner, Tommy was begging to play my "kintar" (guitar). It's a really nice Fender that my in-laws got me that I haven't made near enough use of and every time he asks, I say no. And every time I say no, I can see the light in his eyes dim a little. So last night when I said yes, he stopped in his tracks and said, "Really?!?" Like I'd just given him the best gift ever. He went and got the guitar and we all sat on the couch and took turns pretending like we knew what we were doing.

After we were done with the guitar, it was still light and and the weather was super nice. Nick asked the kids if they wanted to play outside and they screamed, "YEEEESS!!!!" Then they asked to go on four wheeler rides. And he said yes. And they were thrilled. And begged me to join them. And every bone in my body wanted to relax on the couch, but I said yes (are you seeing a theme here? Lots of yeses). So we went outside and I got on the four wheeler, Tommy got on his and Nick and Tessa got in the go-cart. And we went on a little family excursion!

He was riding in front of me the whole time and my heart was seriously bursting with how dang cute he is on that tiny four wheeler.

Nick and Tessa were quite a ways ahead of us because they have to go fast or the go-cart stops going :) So by the time we got back to the house, we found this.......
 They had some fun in the 9 million mud puddles in our yard and on the road! Tessa was LOVING it. She's all about nail polish and perfume most of the time, but that girl loves getting dirty.

Tommy got jealous and wanted to switch out, so he got in the go-cart with Nick and Tessa rode my four wheeler with me. We rode quite awhile that way and on the way back, Nick found every puddle he could and let Tommy in on the fun too.
Who's really the kid here?? I haven't seen Nick smile that big in awhile. They had so much fun! 

Once they were done mudding, mom got to clean most of it up. But it was totally worth it. Right before I made the kids strip to their skivvies outside, I snapped this gem.....
 Be still, my heart.

The kids could not stop talking about how much fun they had. And then Tommy said, "This is the best day EVER!" That's all it took--playing the kintar and driving through mud. 

The kids and Nick showered and got clean and then Nick suggested ice cream and we were all like, "Um....yeah!" Tommy kept saying, "Why do we get ice cream? Is it a special day?" It almost made me cry. My kids are not deprived in any way. They have everything they need and almost everything they want. But saying yes so many times last night made me think about how often I say no. To candy, ice cream, staying up late, watching 5 more minutes of TV, stopping at the park, stopping what I'm doing to watch them do a ridiculous amazing trick.....We say no all the time. 

But sometimes it's SO great to just say yes. We got our ice cream and snuggled up to watch TV the rest of the night. 

We had the best day.

No comments: