Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Riverfest 2015

Let me just start off by saying.......I hate Riverfest. SO many people. SO many cars. SO much walking. SO HOT.

But I go every year. My husband's company hosts a little petting zoo and carnival games one evening every year, so me and the kids always head up there for a little "fun" and to support the hubs.

The first year I went, Tommy was barely a year old and I was 7 months pregnant with Tessa. And it sucked. Tommy was too young to play any games. I was miserably hot and sweaty and trying to hold my pregnant belly up with my hands. All I wanted was a funnel cake and I couldn't find ANYWHERE that sold them. Tommy started screaming about half way through the evening and didn't seem to stop. One of the worst things about Riverfest is the parking and we ended up parking at least a mile away from Nick's event. By the time I got back to the car, my ankles were swollen and huge and I was SO over it.

The second year, Tommy was 2 1/2 and Tessa was about 9 or 10 months old. I don't really feel I need to explain beyond that sentence why that year was horrible. I'll boil it down: 2 small people, 900 degrees, walking for miles.

Last year..........not so bad. My mom came with me, so it was a little more manageable. I didn't have to worry about each kid taking off in a different direction! Riverfest is SO full of people that I get nervous that if they wander off even a little, it would be impossible to find them. We always go to Nick's area, but he's always working a booth, so he can't really help me. Having another adult changed the game! It was still hot and full of crazy people, but the kids were old enough that they were able to play a few of the games and have fun!

Which brings us to 2015. Definitely a step in the right direction! Nick's parents brought the kids to Wichita and I met them after I got off work.
Having 3 adults to 2 children.......that ratio is MUCH easier :) And the kids were SO great. They played well and didn't whine (too much!).

They got to walk in the huge water fountain and I soaked my feet in it for awhile and that kept us all from getting too hot. There were kids literally swimming in this water feature. It was hilarious.......and it made me wonder what their parents were going to say when they found their kids in their soaking wet clothes.

This is Tessa's ornery smile that says she's getting ready to do something naughty....
I TOLD her not to kick water on me....
And yet, here she is.......winding up for a big kick.
.....AAAAAND a huge splash. Luckily, she turned the other direction JUST in the nick of time so I didn't get soaked.


These two cuties have my heart!
They had fun playing all of the games!Their favorites were tractor races and picking marbles up with their toes (which was fun for them, but......ew. That water was GROSS).

 

Tommy wasn't having it at all, but Tessa took a ride on a "mechanical bull" and loved it !!

And of course, we topped the evening off with snowcones!
  

This year was much better than past years, so I'm hoping that's a sign of things to come!


I find that the older they get, the more I enjoy them and doing things with them. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids in every stage of life, but I'm not one of those who wants their kids to stay little forever! I LOVE watching them enjoy things and I love that they're old enough to walk and follow instructions (for the most part!) and do a few things for themselves.

No comments: