Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Conviction with a side of fries

Soooooooo, here's where I spill the beans that I've been blatantly ignoring God. What, like you've never done that before?! ;)

God told me a long time ago to start a Bible study. Me and my friends, Kendra and Hannah, get together about once a month and every time we're together I have so much fun so I say, "We should start a Bible study!" There's this study that Lisa TerKeurst wrote called Unglued and I've been wanting to read it since I heard about it. We talk about how I should contact some of our mutual friends and I get excited about it!

And then I go home.

And I think about having people to my house. My house is perfect for our family, but it's not always clean. You can usually find a diaper under the table or bed, crumbs all over the cabinets and there's guaranteed to be stains on our couch from spilled juice or milk. It's not very pinterest-y. It's decent sized, but there's not ONE room that's big enough to hold several people.

I don't have TIME to have a Bible study. I work a full time job, have 2 kids, try (I said TRY) to have a semi clean house and keep up with laundry. My husband gets off work at different times every night so I'm never sure when he'll be able to help watch the kids.

There's no way I can lead a Bible study. I'm not good on speaking. It's not easy for me to think of topics to teach on. Nobody will want to come. What if they DO come and they're expecting a pretty house and snacks? I don't do snacks! I won't ever have time to make snacks! And when I do make snacks, I usually burn them or miss an ingredient or drop them on the floor!!! JUST BACK OFF ABOUT THE SNACKS, PEOPLE!

You see, I just get a little anxious when God asks me to do something, that's all....

I kept putting it off and putting it off. I go to a church I love and they sometimes have Bible studies, but there's not a lot of women my age and that are in the same stage of life I am, so I don't often go. But clear back in the winter of last year, they found out Women of Faith was coming to Wichita in April. My mom bought tickets for us, but I had forgotten all about it until she brought it up a few days before the event. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go or not and after a lot of hem-hawing around and trying to decide what to do, I asked Nick to watch the kids and we went.

And guess who was speaking?........Lysa Terkeurst, the author of the study I would use if I started a Bible study. And here's the deal, guys. I didn't realize it until I was sitting at Women of Faith watching women of every size, color and age stream through the doors, but I have sooooo been craving fellowship. It's been a long time since I've cried at church, but as we were singing praise and worship, tears were falling because I was being spirtually fed in the exact way I needed to be at that moment.

I left Women of Faith that night with a huge plate of conviction in my lap. So I went to Wendy's and bought a side of fries to go with it . All that night I was fighting with myself over doing what I know I should do or doing what I wanted to do.

Then on the Monday after I had heard Lysa speak, I decided to take a look at her website. She just "happened" to have a guest blogger that day. The guest blogger just "happened" to write a post about starting a Bible study, even if you're scared of doing it. OKAY, GOD!!! I GET IT!!!

So.......(deep breath)........I'm throwing the idea out there. Anybody interested? Please let me know if you'd like to come! I have some women in mind that God has put on my heart and you better believe if He is making me do this, I'm gonna make you do it with me, so I will Facebook stalk you until you say you're coming! But I'm really hoping there are other women who want to get together and share life with me and learn about God. You can comment here or on Facebook if you have any desire whatsoever to come!

I was thinking it could start as an every-other-week and that maybe we could even alternate whose house it is at so that nobody feels too overwhelmed by adding this to their schedule. And to top it off, my mom said that if we did it every other Monday, she could come and if you couldn't find anyone to watch your kids, she would watch them. So NO EXCUSES, ladies!!

It has been too long since I'd met with a group of women. It has been too long since I've opened myself up to the Word. It has been TOO long since I fellowshipped with people who are going through the same things I am. A lot of people use the defense that you don't have to go to church to be a Christian. And that's true, you don't. But going to church is a vital part of ME being a Christian. To stay excited and motivated, I need to hear a sermon every Sunday and I know that I've been missing out by not being a part of a small group.

I feel like God is telling me that there are a few of you who have been doing the same thing--that you've been running from what you know you should be doing. And there's one sentence I have to say to you that I heard while I was at Women of Faith...

 The Shepherd knows where to find you.

Stop running. I hope to see you soon........you bring the snacks :)

No comments: