Pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Introducing....

The chick(en)s you've all been DYING to meet..........
Henley Elizabeth (our hen) and Dudley James (our rooster)




They are the CUTEST two chickens a person ever saw!!

Nick and I have been talking about getting chickens for awhile. We had planned on starting out with baby chicks, but just hadn't moved forward with the idea yet. I was hanging out with Hannah (my bestie) and my kiddos on Sunday when Nick came into the house and told me he had a surprise for me. I started running through the house screaming that I love surprises got really excited and followed him outside. He had been helping his friend move and apparently, God wanted to give us a kick start to our chicken raising because his friend happened to have 2 chickens randomly running around his new property! So Nick scooped those chickens up and brouth them home.

I have to say, it was probably one of my favorite surprises every! There's something so rewarding about the whole process of taking care of an animal and gathering their produce and getting to eat it. It's so much fun teaching Tommy that God made Henley to lay eggs for us. He is LOVEing it!



It is his job to hold the egg after I get it out of the coop and that little boy took his job VERY seriously. He wasn't letting go of that first egg for anything! It took a few days for him to understand that Henley's eggs are the same as the ones we get at the store (only bigger and fresher!). For the first few days, he would say, "Me no eat Henley egg!!" But then the other night, he kept saying, "Me put that in me mouwf!" And he gobbled that egg up!

In all seriousness, these chickens are SO fun. I'm not a huge animal person, but they're very low maintenance and entertaining and they give us fresh food! It's the best of both worlds! And they really are very pretty. Dudley's feathers are so shiny and some of them are the most awesome color of dark turquoise that's very hard to capture on camera.

Feeding the chickens has become Tommy's first chore. He knows to go get the cup and fill it up so we can take it to the "chickdens." He has no fear of them either. We were feeding them one day and Dudley got in a tizzy about something and starting flapping around like crazy roosters do sometimes. Tommy just watched and said, "What he doodin?" I love that my kids can grow up with "farm animals" even though we aren't a true farm. These chickens are a good thing and I'm excited to add more to our flock.....is that what a lot of chickens is called? I obviously still have a lot to learn!



No comments: