Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

My sweet boy

To my sweet boy-

I had every intention of writing this yesterday, but got too caught up in your party and enjoying being your mommy.

I can NOT believe you are 2 years old. I know I'm going to say this every year, but it's true. Last year flew by and you turned from a baby to a little boy in no time flat. So many times in the last 12 months I've stopped and wondered who you would be at 2 years old. Now I have my answer.

You are awesome. Truly awesome. God is evident in (almost) every part of you (minus your devious attitude!). It has become SO much fun to watch you--I can see the wheels turning in your head. I feel like your mind goes 100 miles a minute. You are ALWAYS busy moving and playing.

You have become quite the talker. You like to be heard and you do NOT like to listen :) You have something to say about everything. We have our own little language, you and I. I kind of like it because some people can't figure out what you're saying, but if you come tell mommy, I usually know right away what you want.

You are SO smart! I may be biased, but you just pick up on things so quickly! You know all your colors and most of your shapes. You're repeating everything we say and know words and their meaning usually after being told only once. You also think you know how to get exactly what you want. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! But you always try!

You have a conscience. You don't always follow it, but I KNOW you have it. When you're in the middle of doing something that MIGHT be naughty, I can see you stop and think and then you decide if you should continue doing it or stop. Most of the time you stop, but sometimes, your curiousity gets the best of you. So you and your curiousity get a time out :)

You are in LOVE with your sister. Like, head over heels. I thought having a child was the most awesome thing, but seeing the relationship between you and your sister might be more awesome. Every morning, without fail, when you hear her wake up you run over by her and climb up on her bassinet so you can see her face and you say, "SIS!! Hiiiiiii sis!! Duff doo (love you)!!!" And then you sit and say, "Sis up, NOW!" until I get her out of the bassinet onto the bed so you can kiss her. You can make her laugh so easily and it's your favorite thing to do. I know it won't last forever, so I'm trying to treasure each moment of the two of you together.

You are the most stubborn person I have EVER encountered. Dad says you get it from me, but you had to have gotten it from both of us for it to be as crazy as it is. There have been days when we go around and around and around until one of us caves. Mom can usually out-stubborn you because I know you have to learn lessons, even if it's the hard way. But on a rare ocassion, I just get so tired of fighting you that I walk away until we're both calmer. Then we work it out :) I often have to let you think things were your idea in order to get them done.

You are hilarious! You always have us laughing about something! And you know you're funny. And once you do something we laugh at,  you do i over and over and over again :) Of course, we laugh every time! You always put random things on your head and say, "Hat on!" You say you want to eat things that can't be eaten, like your bed or shoes or sissy. You just seem to already have a kind of sarcastic sense of humor and I love it!

You're scared of the dark.  It makes me sad because I remember being SO scared of the dark when I was younger and I hate that you feel that way. I may STILL be a little scared, but I can't let on to you that I am!! So I have to pretend to be brave when I'm not so you relax and realize there's nothing bad about being in the dark.

Tommy, you changed our lives in the best way possible. I didn't really know how much I could love somebody until you were born. TWO years ago!! You have taught me forgiveness, patience, unconditional love, grace and a million other lessons. We've learned a lot the hard way, but we've had SO much fun on the journey! I feel blessed to be your mommy and can't wait to see what year three brings for us. I get to learn something new about you every day and it's amazing and awesome to see the little boy you've become. You are sweet, kind, funny,smart, handsome, ornery and a little naughty, but together, it's the perfect combination. I love you so much, sweet boy!

No comments: