Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My sweet baby girl

So as everyone knows by now, IT'S A GIRL!!! Tessa Grace. And I already love her more than words can say. It's weird how that works. I mean, before we had a sono, I obviously knew a baby was growing inside me and I loved it. But when we were having the sono done and she was showing us the heart and the brain and the hands and feet, it really hit both of us that there is TRULY a baby in there! Like, a living, breathing, growing baby. And THEN she said it was a girl........and I cried :) I'd been praying for a girl. Don't get me wrong, I am head over heels in love with my baby boy and there is such a special bond between moms and sons. But the thought of a baby girl that will be cuddly and hopefully close to me for the rest of my life was such an awesome thought. I'm such a girly-girl and I needed someone to pass all that pink onto! I NEED another girl in the house!

Her name........we've had her name picked out since before we knew if Tommy was a boy or girl. We knew our firstborn son would have the name Thomas, after Nick's dad. And I knew I wanted all the kids to have names that start with the same letter. So we knew we had to have a girl's name that started with T too. Have you ever tried finding a girl's name that starts with T?! Oh my word. Not many choices. I know a few Tessas, none of whom I'm close to but I've loved that name since the first time I heard it. It's just different enough that you know there's not going to be 4 other Tessa's in that class, but it's not weird where people are gonna be like, "How do you say that?!?" The other option was Teagan. I really liked this name too, but Nick hated it, so since we only had those 2 options, we went with Tessa! Her middle name, Grace, is after my mom. I feel like now that we know she's a girl and we know what her name is, we can really start getting to know HER.

I hadn't felt her move much until the sono. There were a few times when I thought I felt a kick, but I wasn't 100% sure because they weren't very strong. Then during the sono, I could feel her kicking and turning around, which is the coolest thing ever. Now, she is SO active at night and early in the morning. I love being able to feel her. I think that has to be the best part about being pregnant. I can't wait until Nick can feel it, although if she's anything like her brother, she'll be ornery and stop kicking every time dad touches my tummy.

And now to figure out our living situation. We have 2 bedrooms upstairs and our biggest bedroom (which is where we currently sleep) is downstairs. If it was a boy, I was going to have Tommy and the baby share a room, but I knew if it's a girl, I wanted her to have her own room. Silly? Maybe. But I want to be able to decorate and for each of them to have their own space. Plus, Tommy is such a light sleeper I don't want him waking up every time the baby cries during the night. So the dilemma is, if they each have their own room upstairs, where are we going to sleep? Not sure yet. We have a living room upstairs that we literally never use. I think we've sat up there maybe twice a year since we moved in. I want to make it our bedroom, but Nick thinks that's weird. The front door is off that room, but we never use that either. Everyone comes in through the garage. I think the only people who have knocked on that door were Jehova's witnesses :)  My thought is, it's our house. We can use the rooms however we want! And it's not a permanent solution. Ultimately, we'd like to build a barn and turn the garage into a master because it's already insulated and drywalled. So it would just be for a year or two. We'll have to see if I can get him to agree :)

So in the meantime, we buy bows!! And tutus and ribbons and flowery junk and ruffles and tights and pretty shoes. Our bank account is going to be vicariously low for awhile until I get it through my head that she does not need 15 newborn dresses now matter how stinkin cute they are---and you guys, they are SOOOOO cute. Thank you God for a healthy, beautiful, sweet (hopefully) baby girl!

No comments: