Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Turkey Thursday

Well,as everyone has been posting about their Thanksgiving day's, I thought I would share a little about mine. My turkey Thursday BLEW. Hardcore. Let me just start from the beginning.........

I woke up with Tommy around 7am. We played a little and watched some TV and then we both conked out on the couch for about an hour. When we woke back up, my side was hurting a little and I thought maybe I had slept wrong on it, so I stretched some and then put Tommy in the bath tub. I was getting VERY excited to see our family and play a mean game of Clue with Whitney, mom and Brooke. But my side kept hurting. Just like a nagging little pain that wouldn't go away. By the time we were done with Tommy's bath, Nick was awake, so I decided to take a hot bath myself. I tried to relax and read a good book but just ended up curling up in pain in the hot water praying to God that it would stop.

Finally, I couldn't handle it anymore, so I started crying. It was starting to hurt BAAAAD! Nick heard me and he knows when I'm crying, I'm in pain because it doesn't happen very often (I mean, crying from pain. Not crying in general. Cause I'm kind of an emotional whiny butt--but I can usually handle pain :). So I managed to get out of the bath while Nick waited anxiously in the living room to see what the heck was wrong. When I walked out there, he decided we were going to the ER because I could hardly walk my side was hurting so bad. He called his parents to come get Tommy and somehow they managed to get there in what seemed like 30 seconds. It was God's doing because I needed help and FAST.

We flew to the Andover ER (thank GOD we live so close) and Nick called my mom on the way there to let them know what was going on. We pulled up to the ER entrance and it was truly like a miracle. I expected to wait for at least an hour to be seen--which would have been agonizing. But we walked through the door and an RN was there and immediately took us to a room and started the process. After going through lots of "where does it hurt," "when did it start,"  questions, he determined that I probably had kidney stones. I was SO glad that's all it was but then he said it could sometimes take 24-48 hours to pass them. WHAT?!? I could not fathom waiting 24-48 hours for that pain to go away. It was truly the worse pain I've ever been in. It was worse than labor, folks. About 45 minutes after we started the whole process, they FINALLY tried to do an IV to start fluids and pain meds, but they had to poke me 3 times (leaving weird and perfectly round bruises on my arms) before they got a vein. They kept trying to make me drink fluid too and while I understood the concept, the thought of drinking anything made me want to hurl (and eventually I did :). After some blood and urine test and a kidney ultrasound, they figured out I didn't have stones, but my left kidney was extremely swollen and I had a really bad kidney infection.

They kept me there for about 6 hours and pumped antibiotics, fluid and Dilaudid through me which DID make me feel better (thank you JESUS!!!!). When I was released, it was already dark and we still had to go pick up a few prescriptions. I was so sad that we missed a whole day of fun with our family and the weather was beautiful outside, but we didn't get to spend any time outdoors. It was a looooooong and crappy day and I can truly say I have never been more thankful for medication that I was that day. Medicine and the quickness and efficiency of Kansas Med Center ER was my Thanksgiving miracle! I haven't had any pains since then and I literally pray about every 30 minutes that it won't ever come back because I don't think I could handle it. Sounds wimpy, but dang!! It hurt SO bad!!

I only hope everyone else's Thanksgiving days were much better! May the NEXT Thanksgiving be NOTHING like this one :)

No comments: